Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Review: Before I Fall

Format: Paperback
Number Of Pages: 470
Publishing Date: March 2nd 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins
Reader Level: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Read: Mar 18 to Mar 25, 2012 (reread)
Purchased: National Bookstore
Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver


Synopsis:

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.


Review:

Just because you think someone's perfect doesn't mean they are. Just because you see them smile all the time doesn't mean they're happy. Just because someone says he/she is a freak doesn't mean they are. Just because they did bad things at some point in their life doesn't mean they're bad people. 


If  you think you can't be fixed, you're wrong because it's not too late. It's never too late to change because for some of us there is always a tomorrow but you'll never know. Think about it.


This was actually a reread (well not exactly). I first read this back in October '11 or earlier, I can't remember. I never really finished it because I think I started a series of books then just left it. But when I heard Lauren Oliver was coming here, I decided to pick it up again and bought my own copy because back then I didn't have my own copy.


When I first read this, I didn't really got the point of the story maybe because I was just reading it when I was suppose to be reading it with understanding. I didn't really expect that I will fall in love with this book. I mean, the story is just beautiful and has so many powerful messages to young people out there (including me) who are struggling to somehow deal with life and problems. I'm amazed by how many powerful messages Lauren Oliver has put in this book. She perfectly speaks in this teen voice that makes you believe the characters are real, and you can relate to the story even if it's different from your story. Everything she says really burns in your heard it's as if like she's talking to you, to your soul, your heart, everything and it scared me sometimes but in a really good way. This book made me think of the things I did in the past and the things that had  happened to me and made me realize that I'm not the only one struggling. 


I also fell in love with the characters. At first I hated Sam like I really hated her that I actually never wanted to finish it but in the last chapters you'll love her, you'll admire her so much you almost don't want the story to end, and I think what she did at the end was one of the bravest and most admirable thing a person can do and it was beautiful and at the same time heart-braking. You will also be frustrated about how you feel about the other characters but in the end you'll understand and end up loving some of them and maybe disliking some of them.


If you have read this book before and didn't like it, read it again but this time, read it with an open heart and an open mind then you'll understand.

Rating: ★★★★★ out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment