Saturday, March 17, 2012

Book Review: Unearthly

Format: Paperback
Number Of Pages: 439
Publishing Date: November 1st 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Reader Level: Young Adult
Genre: Angels, Romance, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Series: Unearthly #1
Read: Jan 31 to Feb 03, 2012
Unearthly
by Cynthia Hand aka "the author that will make you scream at every page"

Synopsis:

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a "purpose," something she was put on this Earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Review:

*Screams* (yeah I want to start of this review with screaming)

This book was recommended to me by my friend Georgina (who also runs compelledbybooks with me). You can view her review here! Thanks to her I actually dared to pick up this book and  I will be forever thankful that she recommended it to me, and I think Richelle Mead also has something to do with me reading this book. I love Richelle Mead and when I found out that she liked this book I didn't give a second thought when I bought it. (I think it's already obvious I really like this book)

When I first found out that this was about angels I didn't really want to pick it up because the other angel novels I know have really effed up stories so I never really read angel novels. But  Unearthly was a total surprise cause I thought it was one of those "fallen angel" stories but it was not! Cynthia Hand just basically made a more interesting and greater story about angels!

I totally love the kind of angels in this book cause they weren't fallen and that they have this greater "purpose" to do something good in our world so I really liked that. Oh the "glory" and the fact that they can change the form of their wings is really awesome. I wish I could have "glory"! I love love love the way Hand described the characters when they are in their angel form or when they have their wings out.

I totally love our female protagonist Clara! She's very sarcastic but not in the whole cocky way but in a very smart way. She felt real to me cause I felt like she was just this normal teenager even though she's part angel. I mean, I can relate to her in a way. And she was never annoying in any way. Hey, sometimes I find other female characters in novels annoying in some parts but Clara is very lovable. 

I can't choose between Christian and Tucker cause I feel like Clara isn't really sure who she wants to be with so I'm not also sure who I want. Both of them are really great in their own special way which makes it harder to choose. Christian is this gentle guy, very mysterious and somehow a romantic, I guess *giggles*. While Tucker is this very playful kind of guy,  he teases Clara a lot. I guess you can say he's very old-fashioned when it came to liking girls??? You know, the "I-act-like-I-hate-you-and-enjoy-annoying you-but-the-truth-is-I-really-like-you" act that guys do, that's old-fashioned right? I also love the other secondary characters like Clara's mom, and Clara's friends Angela and Wendy.

Okay back to Unearthly, I really enjoyed reading this book because it felt laid back and easy to read. For me, it was like watching a tv show and if you know me, you would know that when I watch tv shows I like screaming when something unexpected happens With Unearthly there was a lot of unexpected happenings that I was screaming and freaking out at every chapter. I mean the big surprise at the ending was like BAM!!! like I was screaming, hyperventilating, and freaking out for a whole minute that I actually had to pull myself together to be able to finish it. That was actually the first time that a book made me feel that way so I guess you can understand why I love this book so much. This book also knows how to break my heart. Reading this book is like riding a spinning roller coaster of emotions (yes, spinning roller coaster).

Unearthly just made me add Cynthia Hand as one of my favorite YA authors!!!

I seriously cannot wait to read Hallowed!!! HALLOWED I NEED YOU KNOW!!!


Rating: ★★★★★ out of 5 stars

1 comment: