Friday, March 16, 2012

Book Review: The Daughter Of Smoke and Bone

Format: Paperback (International Edition)
Number Of Pages: 418
Publishing Date: September 27th 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Reader Level: Young Adult
Genre: Angels, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Series: The Daughter Of Smoke & Bone #1
Read: March 03 to 05, 2012

Daughter Of Smoke and Bone
by Laini Taylor


Synopsis:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Review:

Beautiful cover, right? Yeah, I love books with beautiful covers.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone had a fresh kind of story to it. The whole mystery surrounding Karou was the thing that actually pulled me into reading it and why Akiva, the swoon-worthy angel was intensely drawn to her.

As the story progress you'll be filled on the mystery behind Karou and her past life. She'll also be drawn to Akiva and as she spends time with him, she finds herself falling for him even though she has known him as an enemy of her and her family's kind. But as Karou unravels the mystery surrounding who she is, it threatens to destroy what she has and had with Akiva.

Laini Taylor has actually managed to surprise me cause from the prologue "Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well." I thought this was one of those angel-falls-in-love-with-a-devil but it was not. Taylor has completely made an original story from that concept. It really isn't because if it was I wouldn't finish reading this book. The way Taylor made some of the characters was really amazing and how she described them was very beautiful even if some of them were a mix of different creatures that make them look devil-ish. I also love Taylor's wicked sense of humor and her very swoon worthy moments in which I obviously swooned (really hard).

This book also has its flaws, too. Oh, like how it lack emotion sometimes. There was some parts that were so dull like I couldn't feel anything from it. I also think that Taylor could have made some parts of the book more exciting and thrilling because it was bit boring at times. I'm now wondering how Taylor would make the second book more interesting than this one since I feel like she gave away too much at the end of this book, but then again I don't really know the full story of the series so I can't really say that, can't I? But because of that I truly don't know what's going to happen on the second book which again give it's this mysteriousness.

I can't really say that I was that much in love and compelled by the story, but overall, I did like this book and would still recommend it to you guys to check it out. I am still continuing the series and I just hope the second book is better. And the fact that I'm practically in love with Akiva makes me want to continue it (The dude is hot, okay? no, not hot cause hot is an understatement but heavenly gorgeous?? that's not even a word but yeah!).


Rating: ★★★.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment